Sunday, September 16, 2007

PENDANT GROUP STUDY - My NEXT STEPS plus an Invitation to work on this as well

Hi folks,

In the coming months, I will seek to progressively peal away the layers of organization present in the pendant groups of the khipus of first the Ascher-Ascher database and then of the some of the series of khipus (Leylebamba) present in the harvard database or Urton and his co-workers.

In an article below, I presented the FIRST STEP in _my_ study of the matter, looking simply at the COLOR of the pendant cords making up the pendant groups listed in the Ascher-Ascher database. I'll be following this study up with a study of the simple presence and absence of KNOTS and SUBSIDIARY CORDS.

I'll be doing this, because a good number of the pendant groups present in the Ascher-Ascher database appear COMPLETELY EMPTY - without knots or subsidiary cords attached to them, and yet presumably even such "empty cords" could contain meaning. Further, at least one source that I read last year (Nelson D., Pimentel H., Amarrando Colores: La Produccion del Sentido en Khipus Aymaras[Bolivia: Latinas Editores, 2005] ISBN: 99905-78-43-5) suggests as much. The authors present the results of interviews with two indigenous experts on khipus in Bolivia. These two indigenous experts indicated that empty cords carry meaning in themselves, meaning that's modified by the presence of knots and junctions with other cords.

Also with each new step, new questions / avenues of investigation can arise...

HOWEVER, here I must note ... I'm doing this "part time," when I find the time do so.

SO IF YOU FIND THIS LINE OF STUDY INTERESTING ... PLEASE DON'T WAIT FOR ME. Do you're own work. If you wish, share it with me (or the whole net here).

But I WON'T BE OFFENDED if you take my work and move it along faster than I can. I'm just authentically interested in solving this great riddle, and would be just as fascinated to read somebody else's work later as to how they solved it, than to solve it myself. (I'm an amateur, I'm doing this "for the love of knowledge and history.")

And if those who are the professionals solve this great riddle before I'd ever get around to it (I actually have a full time "other job" :-) then no one would be happier than me!

Dennis
(moderator)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home